"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

Monday, February 2, 2009

"I'm sorry, so sorry."

Back in the early sixties, Brenda Lee sang a song that said, "I'm sorry, so sorry, that I was such a fool." In the past week we have heard similar "I'm sorries" from Timothy Geithner for "mistakenly" failing to pay taxes for four years and from Tom Daschle for a nearly identical offense. We have heard the same thing, in essence, from Senator Chris Dodd, who is suddenly willing to refinance his Countrywide VIP mortgages, even though he "did nothing wrong." And sadly, we have heard the same hollow-sounding "I'm sorry" from Olympic champ Michael Phelps for smoking dope. It wasn't so long ago that Douglas Ginsburg was rejected as a Supreme Court nominee because he admitted smoking marijuana and Bob Packwood was drummed out of the Senate for groping. These guys neglected to say they were sorry. It seems that in our generation, "I'm sorry" erases nearly all transgressions and makes everything alright. But I can't help but wonder if these characters are really saying, "I'm sorry, so sorry, that YOU are such a fool."

3 comments:

Brian C. Caffrey said...

Excellent point, Dave. I note that Daschle did not direct his letter of apology to the American people, his erstwhile bosses, but to a Senate committee.

Bill said...

These people are sorry, alright. I wonder how soon the American people are going to be sorry they bought this whole bill of goods hook, line sinker, hammer and sickle.

Unknown said...

Surely men of low degree are vanity and men of high degree are a LIE to be laid in the balance they are altogether lighter than vanity.we all need to wise up and look up.These men are non can be moraly righteous.What it takes to get where they are is usually at the expence of character