"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

Friday, January 19, 2018

Trump's first year


When Donald Trump took office, I determined that I would give him one year before I decided how I felt about him as president. To me, the way he would govern was a big unknown, since few men actually govern they way they campaign. Of course, I heard Hillary's concerns that he would be a dictator and others say that he is ego-maniacal, dimwitted, and/or mean-spirited. I never really saw Trump that way, but instead saw him more as a high-spirited, amazingly successful New York construction worker, the kind that whistles at pretty girls as they walk by. Truth be told, I voted for him because the alternative was unthinkable. I told many people I would rather roll the dice with Trump that get a sure thing with Hillary.

After a year, I have made my decision about President Donald J. Trump. Before I say what I think, however, let me first say that I consider all Tweeting and all talk of Russian collusion, obstruction, impeachment, 25th Amendment, and sexual harassment to be mere noise, like static on a radio. Static doesn't change the content of the broadcast, but it does distract from it and make it harder to hear. This is why I pay absolutely no attention to these matters. I only care about what the president actually accomplishes. As I see it, the only thing that will be able to stop Donald Trump from serving out his full term is either a heart attack or an assassin. It will not be a senatorial conviction for having committed "high crimes or misdemeanors."

So what is the actual content of the broadcast? In other words, what has he actually accomplished? A year ago I told several friends that I will be happy if Trump does four things: 1) shuts down the southern border, 2) decimates ISIS, 3) puts a strong anti-abortion conservative on the Supreme Court, and 4) eliminates Obamacare. On that basis, I am fairly happy, though clearly there is more to be done. For example, funds for the wall need to be allocated and the rest of Obamacare needs to be zapped. But these are on Congress, not Trump. He will sign the legislation if they pass it.

A few other accomplishments that have added to my happiness are lowering my taxes, pulling out of the Paris climate accord, approving the Keystone pipeline, eliminating funding for abortions in other countries, putting the kabash on TPP, making Jim Mattis Secretary of Defense, and making Mike Pompeo head of the CIA. I am also happy that he has shown himself to be a deal-maker and not a dictator. He has shown that he respects the role of Congress, even though I'm sure he has been quite frustrated at time with a few of his fellow Republicans.



4 comments:

Tom said...

When did you start not caring about what a President says? Seems to me you spent quite a bit of time parsing Obama's words to what you believed they meant. Anyway, I think a President should be judged by more than just the papers he signs. After all, his tweets are official Presidential statements. I would say his propensity to start non politician twitter fights with minorities and calling some NAZIs as "good people" don't give me a lot of faith he will lead this country down any ethical path. Being a deal maker: what deal has he made that he has then not reneged on?

From a personal standpoint I will give an A on Obamacare. He may eventually be able to drive the insurance companies out of the market through executive actions, but at least this year our health insurance is free. Unfortunately for those who do not qualify for a subsidy, he probably priced a whole lot of them out of the market.

Dave said...

Actions speak louder than words.

Tom said...

So you're fine burying your head in the sand and just calling the Russia investigation noise? You're ok that our head of state tweets fights with U.S. citizens and constantly lies? You're ok with all his interference into our legal system? You have no desire to know whether members of the Trump campaign actually accepted help from Russia during the election? But when a former President puts out a statement you feel the need to parse his words in an attempt to show him to not saying anything of value and being a clueless idiot.

I understand your joy at the conservative appointments, laws, reduced regulations, and whatever else has been implemented. I too, don't mind paying less in taxes although is pretty minimal for me. But to ignore the rest is just not what I would expect from you. IF to you, being President is only what he signs, then we only need a POTUS every few months when congress passes some law. Sign it into law and go back to the golf course and stop tweeting.

Dave said...

Tom, you have taken a simple analogy and twisted it into all kinds of ideas that I did not intend. When Obama was president, I paid little attention to what he said and close attention to what he did. Politicians can say anything, but what matters in the end is what they actually accomplish. When he was first elected, I held out hope that he might actually do some positive things, especially in further healing the racial divide in our country. I recall noting several times when I felt that he had a real opportunity to show some leadership but failed to rise to the occasion. I didn't rejoice in that. I was disappointed.

I apply the same principle to Trump. I stay focused on his accomplishments, not his rhetoric. And yes, I do care about the Russian collusion matter and can hardly wait to hear about whatever evidence Mr. Mueller has managed to put together. The sooner the better.