"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

Monday, March 9, 2009

Your Entrepreneurial Government at Work

I heard this morning that the Pa. Liquor Control Board will pay a consultant $173,000 to teach the union-represented state store employees to be polite to customers, to say "hello" and "come again." I would be willing to save the state $73,000. For only $100,000, I'd simply tell the state store employees, "Be nice to the customers or you'll be written up."

My question is what if, after the consultant has been paid and done his work, the state store employees are still sullen and surly? What are you going to do, fire them? Of course not; they're state employees. They have a union, and they don't have to be nice to anybody. What are the customers going to do, go to Maryland?

Well, in any event, we have here a great example of what a marvelous job government does at managing business. I can't wait for all the Soviet-style, centrally planned enterprises that will be visited on us by The Great Lord Barry Obama.

1 comment:

The Quoibler said...

Sadly, at one time in my career, I could have been that "rah, rah" consultant...

:)

Angelique